Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Pawtucket Farmers Market

There's an unbelievable farmers market just up the road from us in Pawtucket in the Hope Artiste Village.  HAV is a great adaptive reuse of a huge mill building, with live/work and retail space.  (The extraneous "e" on the end of Artist is the only objectionable thing about it.)  Anyway, the market has tons of vendors from around Rhode Island, which for a tiny state has a rich local food scene.  I bought some of the best apples I've ever eaten there last weekend, and we bought our Christmas tree there too.

Pawtucket is an intriguing place... I always get lost when I'm there, but it's chock-a-block full of those white elephant buildings that would be totally condo-ized in a hotter market. I have to go there this week to get my Rhode Island drivers license; Billy made one attempt at the DMV, got horribly lost (it's not just me) and then was taken aback by the lines.  Good thing I have plenty of time on my hands these days.  I'm going to pack a lunch and take a book with me.  

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with this. I scored the license but have to venture to another government building in a depressed area of town to get the plate. I made half an effort today, but decided to postpone.

    And agreed on the extraneous "e." It does sully what sounds like an otherwise good thing.

    ReplyDelete