Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Elephants Everywhere




If someone broke into my house and took a very close look around, he would notice drawings of elephants on every surface.  It's Peter's favorite thing to do: grab the nearest Sharpie/tub crayon/ballpoint pen/chalk, thrust it in my direction, and say (in the endearingly demanding  voice he has perfected) "Eh- luh, eh-luh."  This means, "Hey lady, draw me an elephant PRONTO!"  And, being a good mom, I oblige.  Again and again, as you can see from the photos.  Perhaps I can parlay my elephant drawing skills into a second career?  (Or is it my third career at this point?  I'm also very good at hanging out in coffee shops-- a real moneymaker, that.)

A related pastime is looking at videos of elephants.  Animated elephants dancing, baby elephants playing in the snow, elephants playing soccer or painting self portraits, and elephants getting drunk on rotten/fermented fruit.  What did parents do before the Internet?  Something developmentally appropriate and educational, no doubt.

Speaking of exotic animals, there's a new baby giraffe at the Roger Williams Zoo.  (A link here to photos and videos of some of the other giraffe calfs born recently, but not the latest, born just last week.  Someone needs to update the zoo website.  Maybe they're all busy with the giraffe baby boom...)

3 comments:

  1. So Peter is an elephant man, is he? You are a very good elephant drawer. Hey, I love that Design Milk blog! I'm going to subscribe myself--there's a necklace on there I really want (the clear water drop).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually quite impressed with your elephants! Speaking of hanging out at coffee shops, I became addicted to Starbucks' Peppermint White Mocha Latte over the holidays. DO NOT TRY IT. It is delicious and gives you the best high ever. I think I drank one (increasing in size each time) every day for the 12 days of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will stay far far away from the Peppermint Lattes. We don't have a Starbucks in my neighborhood but there's one close to where I'll be working (on the walk to my office from the bus stop), so I'll have to exercise great restraint.

    ReplyDelete