Monday, January 19, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things: No. 1

Poe's Tobacco perfume by Tokyo Milk.  Very unusual-smelling: a combination of tobacco (like the leaves, not cigarette smoke), apple (but not squeaky clean green apple shampoo smell, more musky, like late fall apples that have been lying on the ground for a while), tea leaves and amberwood.  That description doesn't do it justice and makes it sound like it smells like an apple rotting in an ashtray, which it doesn't at all.   It's warm and kind of savory and smells like the perfect olfactory counterpoint to a crisp fall day.

I couldn't stop sniffing myself after I tested it out at Mignonette, an amazing shop on Wickenden Street that has all of these niche fragrances, hard-to-find make-up brands like Lipstick Queen by Poppy King, lingerie, etc.  Super girly and all in very good taste, most of it too rarefied (read: expensive) for me.  Anyhoo, the Tokyo Milk brand has about 20 different perfumes, although most of the ones I smelled were too sweet and cloying. Their perfumes are a bargain ($28 for 1 oz.) and have cute packaging.  Used to be hard to find, but it's available on Amazon and was recently featured in Oprah's magazine, so they'll be everywhere any day now.

I smell good.

No comments:

Post a Comment